Here’s a scanner setup that I’ve been using lately. It’s just as fast as a PDA, yet it has all the advantages of current technology. This video shows a demonstration of an Android Phone with the Socket 8Ci scanner. I’m using Asellertool’s FBAScan as the software.
Here are some benefits to using FBAScan:
1) Fast Scanning - This does not require a 3G or 4G internet connection while scouting for products. All of Amazon’s information is stored in the memory card of the phone.
2) Fast Downloads – I’ve been able to download all of Amazon’s data into the phone in less than 20 minutes. This includes media and non-media items.
3) Scans Media and non-Media Items – The FBAScan software scans all categories such as books, DVDs, toys, electronics, etc. I’ve personally only scanned media items, so I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the non-media items.
4) Shows FBA Prices - FBAScan will show the Amazon FBA prices as well. However, keep in mind, Amazon changed their API formula a couple years ago. As a result, Amazon will only show FBA prices that are considered competitive. Therefore, if an FBA listing is several pages deep, it may not show up on the scanner. All 3rd party companies must follow this rule including Neatoscan, Asellertool, ScanPower, Profit Bandit, etc.
Here are some benefits to using the Socket 8Ci Scanner:
1) Class One Laser – This has an extremely powerful beam which can scan barcodes from one foot away.
2) Quiet – This can be used discreetly at thrift stores because it does not make a noise. However, it does come out of the package making a beeping and a rumbling noise. I had to call customer service to find out how to turn it off. Here are the barcodes where you can turn off the noise and rumbling sound.
3) Thin – It is super thin so it fits nicely on the back of a phone.
4) Easy Attachment – Sold separately is a Klip Case from Socket. You can adhere is to the back of your phone, so there is no need to use Velcro.
5) Compatibility - Works on any Android or Apple device.
Where to Buy
I was able to get a new Socket 8Ci scanner on an eBay auction for $120. Obviously, your results will vary. It looks like they are selling on Amazon right now for $195. I bought the Klip Case directly from Socket Mobile for $20.
If you’re interested in the FBAScan software, you can get that for $40 a month on Asellertool’s website. Use the coupon code “future2″ for a $20 discount on your first month.